Pages

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Beth Revis interview!!!!!!

I recently had the honor of interviewing Beth Revis author of across the universe. Thanks so much Beth!!!!!

Selected reader question:

Yahong Chi asks: what does fame feel like?

Beth: Oh, LOL! I don't feel famous at all! Famous people don't do dishes (which I did today) or stay in their pajamas until noon (likewise).


Uncoolcarrots questions (me)

Carrot: Do you write while listening to music if so does it affect the plot?

Beth: I do tend to listen to music--I usually pick about 5 or so songs and listen to them on repeat. I don't think they affect the plot--but then again, I'm sure something happens on a subconscious level. It will be no surprise to know that I listened most often to "Across the Universe" by the Beatles while writing ACROSS THE UNIVERSE :D

Carrot: How long have you wanted to write a novel before "across the universe"?

Beth: For as long as I can remember. I wanted to be a writer in elementary school --at which point my teacher told me I'd never make a living at it, and I should pick a different profession. So, while I did get my degree in English Lit and worked as a teacher, I still kept writing. I wrote ten novels--over the span of a decade--and none of them achieved any success at all. My eleventh novel was ACROSS THE UNIVERSE.



Carrot: Favorite YouTube video?

Beth: Oh, I have no idea! But probably something by Charlie Is So Cool Like.


Carrot: What was the strangest thing that happened while writing across the universe? Did it affect the book? How?

Beth: Nothing at all! I lead a very boring life. But I can say that something that happened last summer while visiting Venice will have an influence on the plot of the third book in the trilogy.



Carrot: What was it like in-between signings on the breathless book tour?

Beth: Exhausting! One of the people who was on tour with me, Brenna Yovanoff (author of THE REPLACEMENT) had the best advice: eat or sleep whenever you can!



Carrot: Any advice for aspiring writers?

Beth: If you have the choice between doing something new or staying in your office and writing, do the new thing. There's a lot of credit to be given to the advice to keep your butt in the chair and write as much as possible, but don't forget that real life makes the best stories.




~and remember to eat your carrots!

1 comment: